Wednesday 12 July 2017

Prayer and Manual Labour

We are now half way through our third week. My first news is that God has provided for me amazingly. First my mom contributed a huge amount towards my finances, then someone from Rèunion blessed me with 50 euros by anonymous donation. Now I have just found out that my home church, Plettenberg Bay Community Church, blessed me so generously that  all my outreach fees have now been paid off.

It is so amazing, God knew the whole time, every time I tried to pray for finances He would ask me why I was worrying about finances when I am living in His house. He is providing for me, He asks nothing in return, He has adopted me and is taking care of me.

This weekend we went to a church on the other side of the island. Our leader received word from God that we need to pray over the whole island so we did a "prayer drive". As we drove to the church the one way we interceded for the island. Then on the way back we went the other way round and prayed over the other half of the island. It took most of the day, the longest time I have ever spent in intercession but the Holy Spirit was definitely working and teaching us about the atmosphere of the island. We also really got to see the different areas, it is so beautiful here with the forests and the barren rocks left over from the previous volcanic eruptions that are slowly being reclaimed by plants.

Speaking of plants reclaiming land, we finally got to do some stereotype missionary work (manual labour). We went to help clear vegetation for a garden that has been overgrown for the past 4 years. It was hard work but some of the most fun gardening I have ever taken part in. Right at the end we found a massive spider crawling over one of the jackets. The spider was dubbed Patricia and nudged onto the end of the rake. Once there our fearless leader used the rake to fling the spider off into new lands and we got to witness the comical moment of Patricia flying a good few meters into the distance legs flailing as she acclimatised.

Tonight we had an amazing bring and share with 2 of the youth groups from the island. There was pizza, bouchon (one of my new favourite dishes), cake, music and hilarious games half in french half in english with people displaying expert translating skills as they bounced between the 2 languages.

We leave in 10 days but I don't know how I can when this island has claimed so much of my heart. I wish I could pack all the people in my suitcase and take them with me.

Looking at the waterfall

The Gardening Crew

Jamming with the Extravagance Team


No comments:

Post a Comment